Vision and Mission pdf
The annual report summarizes the Council's activities during the year and reviews the projects undertaken with the support of NCCDD grants. Each year, the Council presents an extensive account of its performance to the U.S. Administration on Developmental Disabilities and this short document summarizes that report in a brief and readable manner. To be placed on the mailing list contact Cora Gibson at email@example.com (all downloadable pdf documents)
Catalyst for Change is the newsletter of the North Carolina Council on Developmental Disabilities and reports on successful programs around the state and provides updates on Council activities. Inaugurated in 2008, the newsletter is published twice a year. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the mailing list. (all downloadable pdf documents)
Catalyst for Change: Summer 2014 (doc) Summer 2013 (doc) Winter 2013 (doc) Summer 2012 (doc) Winter 2012 (doc) Summer 2011 (doc) - Winter 2010 (text) - Winter 2009 Fall 2009 (text) - Summer 2008
Bridges: Oct. 2006 - May 2005 - Jan. 2003 - May 2002 - April 2002 - Nov. 2001
(All downloadable pdf documents)
People First (now available in Spanish): The new brochure “We have not met just yet, but... I’m Your Neighbor” provides useful tips for recognizing and speaking in ways that acknowledge the person before their disability. The 2010 People First booklet can be ordered or downloaded pdf / word (English), pdf / word (Spanish)
NCCDD Systems Change Articles
- Aging, Dementia, and Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities: Issues associated with aging continue to garner major public attention, largely due to the burgeoning senior population, but evidence is emerging now that broad brush conclusions affecting all groups of people are ill-advised; that not all follow the same path. (Read more) (pdf) (doc)
- POSITION STATEMENTS: Why Due Process Matters to Individuals with Developmental Disabilities (pdf). Strengthening Supports for Home and Community Living (pdf). Making Care Coordination Work For Individuals with Developmental Disabilities (pdf).
- SERVICE GAP ANALYSIS: A Strategic Analysis for Change (Planning Context)
Data compares North Carolina with other states to provide planning tools and action steps to improve the developmental disability system. Human Services Research Institute (HSRI) August 2011. Summary (pdf).
- "Where Does North Carolina Stand? 1998-2008" A comparison of residential service trends nationally and in North Carolina, for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. See the May 2010 PowerPoint Presentation: (ppt / pdf / doc) and the April 2010 Report: (pdf / doc)
- Direct Support Professionals Report, The support provided by Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) to individuals with I/DD has a profound influence on quality of life. High turnover rates, low wages, recruitment and retention, and increasing demand for services threaten the ability of North Carolina to develop a high quality DSP system. Direct Support Professionals Evaluation Summary (pdf), Demonstration Project Final Report (pdf) Practice Improvement Committee (ppt)
- “Basics of 1915(b)(c) Waivers" What is a combined 1915(b)(c) waiver? What is the state doing? What is the goal? Get answers to these questions and others. (pdf)
What is North Carolina doing?
- “Opportunities and Challenges of 1915(b)(c) Waivers” Medicaid is the major source for funding of long term care services and supports provided in home and community settings. The use of a 1915(b)(c) waiver is one method of delivering Home and Community Based Services (HCBS). (pdf)
- 2008 SUMMIT REPORT Thirty five state leaders called for a thorough review of state policies relating to individuals with intellectual and other developmental disabilities and outlines the challenges of the future. “Looking Forward: A Summit on North Carolina’s Developmental Disabilities System.” August 2008 (doc) Recommendations (pdf)
- Proposed Indicators of Progress Toward Reform in the North Carolina Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities and Substance Abuse System. Report prepared August 2006. (doc)
- Going Home: Keys to Systems Success in Supporting the Return of People to Their Communities from State Facilities Report prepared October 2006 (doc)
- “Honoring our Past, Shaping our Future" A Report from NACDD upon the 40th Anniversary of the Creation of Councils on Developmental Disabilities.” (pdf)
- Other NCCDD Publications