Read Our Anniversary Blogs
Click on the map image above to access the stories and see where our writers come from in NC.
(Please note that not all stories have been published yet.)
- NC ADA 30th Anniversary Celebration – July 23, 2020, 1 – 3 PM, Virtual
North Carolina’s ADA 30th Anniversary Celebration will feature messages from Governor Roy Cooper, Secretary of Health and Human Services Mandy Cohen and Director of State Human Resources Barbara Gibson, along with two keynote speakers: Madeline Delp and Emeka Nnaka. Read more details or register for this FREE online event.
- Disability:IN NC ADA 30th Anniversary Celebration – Drive-In Theatre
July 23, 2020, 6 – 10:15 PM, LeGrand Center in Shelby, NC
Watch a screening of the award-winning documentary film, "Lives Worth Living" The registration fee is $20.00 per car (for people without disabilities) and $10.00 per car (if one or more passengers has a disability). Advance registration is required. Join us for an evening of shared celebration, uplifting messages, a sample of delicacies from different food trucks, and old-fashioned fun! (This is a family friendly alcohol-free event). Read more details or register for the event.
- ADA30 Lead On: Celebration of Disability Arts, Culture, Education & Pride – Thursday, July 23, 7 - 9:15 PM EDT
This FREE event to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) will be streamed on YouTube and Facebook Live. Read more details or register for the event.
- Disability History Virtual Tour – July 23 from 12 Noon - 1:30 PM ET
The U.S. Department of Defense's Diversity Management Operations Center, Disability Programs Directorate, a partner in ODEP's Workforce Recruitment Program, will host a virtual tour of the Smithsonian Institution's disability history collection on ET. Register for the event and request accommodations by emailing email@example.com. Visit the National Museum of American History's disability history site.
- RespectAbility ADA30 Summit – Monday, July 27 – Friday, July 31 – we will host daily two-hour virtual events (1 – 3 PM ET; 10 AM – 12 PM. PT)
These events will be free and fully accessible, with an ASL interpreter and live captions. Transcripts of each event will be posted following the presentations as well. Each event will also be recorded and shared with open captions. This series is made possible through the generosity of Comcast NBCUniversal, the Murray/Reese Foundation, Sony Pictures Entertainment and The Walt Disney Company. Read more details or register for the FREE event.
- Triangle ADA 30th Anniversary Event – July 30, 2020, Noon – 1 PM, Virtual
What's the Deal with disABILITIES: The Triangle Celebrates 30 Years of the ADA Webinar. Read more details or register for the FREE event.
- Honoring 30 Years of the ADA – The Campaign for Disability Employment (CDE) posted a blog that highlights the importance of the ADA in making America more inclusive of people with disabilities, in the workplace and in the community. It also features the CDE's public service announcements, each exploring a different angle of disability employment.
Share Your ADA Story!
In July, we honor the Americans with Disabilities Act, the landmark legislation that promotes inclusion and integration for people with disabilities, which became a law on July 26, 1990.
We celebrate the ADA Anniversary to raise awareness about the inclusion of people with developmental disabilities in all facets of community life, as well as awareness of the barriers that people with disabilities still face at times in connecting to the communities in which they live.
This year we would like people to share their reflections on the impact of the ADA – it could be a logo or a picture of people with disabilities or whatever your creative mind and skills might come up with!
Complete this form to share your story Upload your artwork, photographs or videos
You will need to fill out NCCDD's release form and email it to NCCDD at firstname.lastname@example.org.